Expert Group on Benthic Habitats and Biotopes
The HELCOM Expert Group on Benthic Habitats and Biotopes (EG Benthic) provides expert input towards HELCOM work related to benthic communities, habitats and biotopes.
It supports the coordination of Baltic Sea regional efforts on benthic matters, notably on the implementation of related Baltic Sea Action Plan (BSAP) and subsequent commitments.
EG Benthic particularly focuses on:
- Natural marine and coastal landscapes
- Thriving and balanced communities of plants and animals
- Attaining viable populations of species
- Restoring and maintaining sea floor integrity at a level that safeguards ecosystem functions
- Habitats – including associated species – showing a distribution, abundance and quality in line with prevailing physiographic, geographic and climatic conditions
Antonia Nyström Sandman
Chair of EG Benthic
AquaBiota Water Research, Sweden
+358 40 485 5905