WS Ecosystem services
7-8 November 2013, Stockholm, Sweden
REGIONAL WORKSHOP ON THE VALUATION OF MARINE AND COASTAL ECOSYSTEM SERVICES IN THE BALTIC SEA
The purpose of the workshop is to exchange knowledge, share the results of existing studies and discuss how valuation of ecosystem services in the Baltic Sea can support ecosystem-based marine management. Participants include scientists, representatives from international organizations and personnel from government offices and agencies.
The workshop is co-organized by HELCOM, Nordic Council of Ministers, the Swedish Agency for Marine and Water Management, Stockholm Resilience Centre, the Swedish Ministry of the Environment and UNEP, and funded by the Nordic Council of Ministers.
Increasing our understanding of the value of ecosystem services in the Baltic Sea
Coastal and marine ecosystem services contribute to human well-being in many ways, and there is a need to increase understanding of these ecosystem services and their value in the Baltic Sea area. The purpose of the workshop is to exchange knowledge, share the results of existing studies and discuss how valuation of ecosystem services in the Baltic Sea can be used for ecosystem-based marine management.
Topics to be discussed include:
– global and regional perspectives on the valuation of coastal and marine ecosystem services
– case studies on the monetary valuation of ecosystem services in the Baltic Sea, and
– linkages between the valuation of ecosystem services and marine management in the Baltic Sea.
– Enhanced understanding of valuation of marine and coastal ecosystem services.
– Examples and practical guidance on how valuation of marine and coastal ecosystem services can support policy making processes.
– Inputs for the implementation of the Baltic Sea Action Plan and Marine Strategy Framework Directive.
– Identification of knowledge gaps in the valuation of marine and coastal ecosystem services in the Baltic and other regional seas.
The Baltic Sea and the valuation of marine and coastal ecosystem services. Background Paper for the Regional Workshop on the Valuation of Marine and Coastal Ecosystem Services in the Baltic Sea, Stockholm, 7-8 November, 2013
Please register by filling in the registration form and sending it to Stockholm Resilience Centre (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a copy to HELCOM Secretariat (email@example.com) before 20 October 2013.
You can find the preliminary agenda of the workshop here.
Location and practicalities
The workshop is organized at Hallvarsson & Halvarsson, Sveavägen 20, Stockholm, Sweden. The venue is located in the Stockholm city center close to Sergels torg.
You can find more information on how to reach the venue here.
Skype name: helcom62
Stockholm Resilience Centre