Updated 12 January 2021
Internship: GIS trainee
The HELCOM Secretariat is looking for an enthusiastic GIS trainee to join the staff to assist in various tasks carried out to support the work of HELCOM. The traineeship will start during the first quarter of 2021 and the duration will be from 3 to 5 months.
The trainee assignment will contain the following tasks to be carried out with guidance from Secretariat staff:
- producing updated editions of HELCOM Shipping accidents report;
- updating and adding new set of shipping density maps in HELCOM Map and Data service and HELCOM Metadata catalogue ;
- producing an updated edition of the HELCOM Annual report on discharges observed during aerial surveillance;
- producing an updated edition of the HELCOM Port Reception Facilities Overview Quality control and harmonization of updated HELCOM MPA dataset;
- creating online data visualizations from existing HELCOM datasets using available tools such as ESRI story maps and/or Flourish or other interactive web-based data visualization tool;
- other related tasks that may be assigned, as appropriate.
The person to be appointed shall:
- have reached Bachelor level studies in geography/GIS
- have strong experience in using GIS software and Microsoft office
A thorough knowledge of the English language and ability to communicate in English is essential.
If working with big data and complex data formats does not scare you and you are familiar with or want to learn about some of the following tools/software: ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, R, ArcGIS Server / Portal, Geonetwork and Flourish, then consider applying for the trainee position.
How to apply?
Candidates interested in the task descriptions and who consider themselves eligible for the traineeship position are invited to submit their application (consisting of a CV and a motivation letter) via e‐mail to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 18 January 2021.