Post of Communication Secretary at the HELCOM Secretariat
Applications are invited for the post of Communication Secretary at the Baltic Marine Environment Protection Commission – Helsinki Commission (HELCOM) Secretariat to take care of the external communication and public relations activities of HELCOM. The post, which is based in Helsinki, Finland at the Commission’s Secretariat, will be vacant on 1 February 2023.
HELCOM is an intergovernmental organization (Denmark, Estonia, the European Union, Finland, Germany, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Russia and Sweden) with its headquarters (Secretariat) in Helsinki, Finland, working to protect the marine environment of the Baltic Sea. At present there are around 30 staff members at the HELCOM Secretariat and the working language is English. For more information about HELCOM, please visit our home page: www.helcom.fi
The Communication Secretary is responsible for:
- identifying, producing and using relevant information and communication means to support the implementation of the HELCOM strategies and policies;
- actively taking part and contributing to HELCOM processes as well as searching for and synthesizing any relevant information, with the aim of possessing a wide understanding of HELCOM issues;
- providing support for the development and execution of a HELCOM policy for information and awareness with the aim of influencing the political constituencies in the Contracting Parties in relation to the priority issues of HELCOM;
- assisting in identifying relevant and interested data providers to a HELCOM information network, and being responsible for HELCOM’s contact with those;
- disseminating information about the activities of HELCOM to the media and the general public by preparing a number of communication products such as news releases, newsletters, presentations, publications, videos and multi-media tools, and by any other suitable means;
- supervising the production of communication products when using external service providers;
- developing and editing the contents of the HELCOM website and social media channels (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube) and non-conventional and innovative means of communication;
- any other tasks entrusted to him/her by the Executive Secretary.
The post description of the vacancy as well as the common requirements and duties for the Professional Secretaries are attached.
Qualifications and experience
The person to be appointed shall:
- have a suitable university degree and a minimum of five years of relevant professional experience (in communications, public relations or journalism,in the English language, preferably within the environmental field);
- Have a good understanding of the implementation of communication strategies, and be able to develop communication campaigns for various HELCOM processes and projects;
- Have an understanding of media and public relations processes;
- demonstrate ability to apply digital media solutions, including social media, information management systems, word processing and other office-suite software;
- possess skills in publishing, graphic design, web and video editing, and the ability to employ other means of communication;
- understand the role of HELCOM and its Secretariat;
- have excellent social skills and be ready to communicate with a wide range of HELCOM contacts including officials and HELCOM stakeholders;
- have excellent organizational and administrative skills;
- have attention to detail and be meticulous, but also see how the details fit in the greater picture;
- feel comfortable with both carrying out simple communication tasks and hands-on work but also tasks requiring greater responsibility and be able to work independently and deliver against tight deadlines;
- be able to quickly grasp new issues, including technical and policy orientated, as HELCOM covers a wide range of topics and processes and enjoy expanding the field of responsibilities to new tasks and areas of expertise;
- be flexible and able to step in and help other colleagues.
A thorough knowledge of the English language as well as the ability to draft quickly and concisely in English for various target groups is essential. Professional experience at the international level is an asset. Ability to use image editing and publication software is also an asset.
Terms of appointment
The salary, which is non-incremental, is 5.800 EUR per month. The salaries paid by the Commission are exempt from Finnish income tax. In addition, certain allowances may be payable, depending on personal circumstances.
The initial appointment is for three years, the first six months of which shall be a probationary period, with the possibility of a prolongation for another period not exceeding three years (3+3 years, maximum 6 consecutive years altogether).
The successful candidate is expected to take up his/her post on 1 February 2023.
Candidates with the required expertise and qualifications are invited to submit their application (consisting of a CV and a motivation letter) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 14 November 2022. Applications received after that will not be taken into consideration. Please write “Communication Secretary” in the subject field of the message.
The interviews will take place on 15 December 2022.